With the snow blowing outside and the cold temperatures of January setting in, let the heat of the spices in this healthy mexican recipe warm you up and the goodness of its ingredients keep your waistline slim. The dish can easily be doubled on meal prep day for ease of food during the week. Being prepared is your key to success, so don’t hesitate to put the leftovers of the Mexican bowl in the fridge to enjoy it later!
Healthy Mexican Recipe: Mexican Bowl Ingredients
- 0.5 Cup red bell peppers
- 0.5 cup chopped onions
- 0.25 tsp(s) onion powder
- 0.75 tsp, Salt
- 0.5 tsp, ground pepper, black
- 0.5 lb(s), Ground Beef, 97% Extra Lean, Raw
- 0.25 tsp, Ground Cumin
- 0.5 tsp(s), chili powder
- 0.25 tbsp, garlic powder
- 0.5 cup, Tomatoes, diced
- 0.25 cup, Chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp(s), Lime juice – Raw
- 2 cup, zucchini noodles (spiralized or using a vegetable peeler to make long thin strands)
- 1/4 Cup, Greek Yogurt – Low Free – Plain
- Optional: pinch cayenne pepper or red chili flakes
Healthy Mexican Recipe: Mexican Bowl Method
- Heat a large non-stick skillet, cooking meat over medium heat until browned.
- Drain off excess fat from pan.
- Add chopped onion and peppers to meat and cook until onions are fragrant and slightly translucent.
- Add tomatoes, lime juice and remaining spices.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for another 10 minutes.
- Place 1 cup zucchini noodles into 2 serving bowls.
- Top with the beef/vegetable mixture and let sit for 2-3 minutes to soften the zucchini.
- Top with fresh chopped cilantro and Greek yogurt.
Healthy Mexican Recipe: Mexican Bowl Modifications
– Not a fan of red meat? swap in ground chicken or turkey.
– Vegetarian or Vegan? Try crumbled seitan in place of the beef for a complete protein source OR you can use lentils
– Want to add a fat? top with avocado and/or cheese.
I am sure that you will enjoy this healthy Mexican recipe on its own, or with a choice of a carb like a bake sweet potato. Post your experience of making this Mexican bowl, in the comments!
And don’t forget to download our recipe ebook for 100 healthy recipes that will keep you fit and healthy year round!