What is the best thing to eat that is healthy, full of protein and taste like heaven? Of course a healthy protein angel food cake!
My clients always ask me for healthy recipe recommendations and I never tire of experimenting in the kitchen. This time I found an amazing ingredient to make a healthy cake that is full of protein. Check out the recipe below:
Makes to servings of angel food cake
What you need:
– 8 egg whites (fresh works best over carton egg whites)
– 1 scoop vanilla flavoured protein powder of choice (see note below)
– 1tsp cream of tartar
– 1tsp vanilla extract
– stevia to taste
What you do:
1. Place egg whites in a non-plastic bowl and bring to room temp. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Add all other ingredients (EXCEPT for whey) to egg whites in mixing bowl.
3. Whisk or beat on highest speed of a mixer for a few minutes until high peaks. Whisk beater attachment works best but I sometimes use a hand mixer.
4. Sprinkle whey on top. Fold in gently and carefully. Do NOT over mix.
5. Place in sprayed round pan and then in oven for 20 minutes. When you take it out, let cool for a few minutes.
Note: whey protein works best but I have used vegan protein powders and gotten it to work nicely too.
By: Alysha Coughler, Sports Dietitian and Body Beautiful Coach