Lately, we were cooking only wholesome meals and completely forgot about the snacks. The idea to make healthy chips visited us when we went to the movie theater. Sitting among people chewing on the deliciously smelling empty calories, we deduced that eating pumpkin seeds that we usually bring with us to the theater is not enough. Something had to be done…
We started thinking how we could make delicious and healthy replacement for chips and dip. Thinly sliced zucchini looked promising for the chip part of the recipe and cottage cheese or Greek yogurt could serve great as a base. And this is how this recipe was made:
[/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][et_pb_column type=”1_3″][et_pb_image admin_label=”Image” src=”https://www.buildmybodybeautiful.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_2398-1024×764.jpg” show_in_lightbox=”off” url_new_window=”off” use_overlay=”off” animation=”fade_in” sticky=”off” align=”left” force_fullwidth=”off” always_center_on_mobile=”on” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”] [/et_pb_image][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][et_pb_row admin_label=”row” make_fullwidth=”off” use_custom_width=”off” width_unit=”on” use_custom_gutter=”off” custom_padding=”0px||0px|” padding_mobile=”off” allow_player_pause=”off” parallax=”off” parallax_method=”off” make_equal=”off” parallax_1=”off” parallax_method_1=”off” column_padding_mobile=”on” parallax_2=”off” parallax_method_2=”off”][et_pb_column type=”4_4″][et_pb_text admin_label=”Text” background_layout=”light” text_orientation=”left” use_border_color=”off” border_color=”#ffffff” border_style=”solid”]
What you need:
For the Chips
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
For the dip
- 3 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1.5 tbsp Cajun Seasoning
What you do:
- Preheat oven at 400ºF
- In the meantime, slice zucchini approximately 1/8 of an inch thick
- Place in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and chili powder
- Spray a large baking sheet (you may need two) with nonstick cooking spray like PAM, and arrange zucchini slices in a single layer
- Bake for 25 mins turning often.
- Reduce temperature to 300ºF and bake until crisp (another 10-15mins).
- While the zucchini is baking make the dip by mixing Cajun Seasoning with cottage cheese and place in fridge until ready to use.
- Once the zucchini is baked, remove from oven and place on paper towels and let it cool
Later, although this recipe is awesomely delicious, it is not very portable and bringing it to the movie theater is quite impractical. Oh well, until they will start making healthy snacks at the movie theaters, we will continue sneaking pumpkin seeds in and enjoy the zucchini chips at home. Happy snack time!
Makes 3 servings of dip and zucchini chips. Nutrient breakdown per serving:
- Calories: 53
- Fat: 2
- Carbs: 8 (Fiber:2 )
- Protein: 3
- Sugar: 4