If you ever have to give up all vegetables but one, it should be broccoli. Or kale, but you can’t make soup out of kale, so go for broccoli. Broccoli is one of the healthiest vegetables you can eat, as it has tons of antioxidants which will fight cancer and help you stay healthy. If you are don’t love eating veggies, but still want to have all the benefits of eating them, get tons of broccoli and make the soup below. Making veggie soups is an awesome way to get all the healthy nutrients, without eating those dreadful salads!
As usual, we took a traditional recipe, modified it and made a healthy version of it. We’ve been using this method for years, and it’s super easy, because often we just need to replace only one or two unhealthy ingredients for the healthy one. This keeps the taste of the original and makes it good for you.
This recipe’s sin was that it called for cream as a base. We swapped cream for coconut milk, which is a really awesome ingredient you can use to substitute dairy in your recipes. Anyway, check out the recipe below and enjoy this yummy-ness!
What you need:
- 2 lbs of fresh broccoli heads, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 2 lbs of fresh cauliflower heads, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 5 carrots, peeled and chopped (about 2-3 cups)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of Montreal Steak Seasoning or any other all-purpose seasoning to your liking
- 7 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can of coconut milk
- Immersion blender
What you do:
- Clean, chop and peal all your vegetables.
- Place all your vegetables in the largest sauce pan you own (mine is 8 quarts) and pour your 7 cups of broth into the pot with the chopped vegetables.
- Add Montreal Steak Seasoning your and keeping the pot uncovered, bring to a boil. The vegetables shouldn’t be covered with broth at the beginning of the cooking process and it is ok. Once the vegetables cook down a bit, the broth will be sufficient enough to cook the remainder of the vegetables on top.
- Cook your vegetables for about 20 minutes, pushing down the vegetables to be submerged in as much broth as possible.
- Once all the vegetables are tender enough to cut with a fork you are ready to blend. For this, you will require an immersion blender. Turn off the heat, add your can of full fat coconut milk and blend your soup mixture right in the pan with your immersion blender.
- Serve and enjoy! The recipe has such simple ingredients and it is so easy to make. What more can you ask for?