Getting back to work in the fall means figuring out weeknight dinners and workday lunches. This low carb chicken salad can be made in larger batches and lend itself to a variety of dishes. Aside from chicken, avocado will play a huge role in this recipe. Avocados are a fantastic source of omega 3 acids and have tons of health properties!
Low Carb Chicken Salad Base (makes 4 servings)
What you need:
– 16oz finely chopped cooked chicken
– 1 ripe avocado, seeded and peeled (see How to Cut and Peel an Avocado)
– 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
– 2 teaspoons lime juice or 1tbsp red wine vinegar
– 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
– Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
What you do:
1) Place the chicken, avocado, celery, and red onion in a medium bowl. Gently mash the avocado with a fork and stir it around so that everything gets well mixed.
2) Add the lime juice or vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add more lime juice or salt to taste. If the mixture seems a little dry, you can stir in a teaspoon or two of extra liquid.
Options 1: Low Carb Creamy Chicken Pasta
– steam 2 cup raw zucchini noodles OR 1.5 cup raw broccoli slaw
– in a non-stick pan, add 1-2 cloves garlic and sauteed until fragrant.
– toss in chicken salad and noodles, heating until chicken salad is warmed through
Option 2: Low Carb Chicken Salad
– prepare 2-3 cups of your favourite greens
– add 2tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley and 1/4 each chopped celery and red bell pepper to portion of chicken salad
– add extra lime juice or vinegar to thin chicken salad
– top greens with chicken salad adding other vegetables as desired
by: Alysha Coughler, Body Beautiful Transformation Coach and Registered Dietitian (MHSC, RD)