Aside from being one of the most popular soup in Thailand, Tom Yum Soup has many health benefits, due its potent combination of herbs and spices. In fact, this Thai soup is currently under scientific study, as it appears to have immune-boosting power as a natural remedy for cold and flu viruses.
Here is my version:
- 6 cups organic chicken/beef or veggie stock into a soup pot (SERVES 2-3).
- 1-2 stalks lemongrass, OR 2 tbsp frozen prepared lemongrass (I prefer this, much easier)
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- Optional: 1 thumb-size piece galangal or ginger
- 3 Tbsp. fish sauce OR 4 Tbsp. soy sauce (use wheat-free soy sauce for gluten-free diets)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 fresh red chili, OR 1/2 tsp. dried crushed chili>
- Vegetables of your choice (mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bok choy or broccoli)
- 12-16 shrimp OR 1-2 cups soft tofu OR 2 chicken breasts (cooked)
- 1/2 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh basil AND/OR 1/2 cup fresh coriander (cilantro)
Combine first 4 ingredients together and let boil. Bring the heat to low – medium and add everything except the last 3 ingredients. Simmer for 15 mins or so (until the veggies are cooked to your liking). Add coconut milk, your meat/fish or tofu and let cook another 3-5 mins (until it lightly bubbles again). As a final touch, top it off with cilantro or basil when serving in bowls. Yum![/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column][/et_pb_row][/et_pb_section]