Mediterranean food is one of the healthiest in the world. Even the spices that are used in preparing this food are healthy. Curry powder, cumin, lemon juice are just to name a few!
Shawarma is a great source of protein and there are so many variations, so we decided to make our own gluten free version and replace the pita bread with lettuce and use chicken breast for meat. It turned out to taste amazing! Check out the recipe below:
What you need:
- 1 cup shredded English cucumber
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Large romaine lettuce leaves
What you do:
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Stir cucumber, yogurt, tahini, lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine garlic powder, curry powder, pepper and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in another medium bowl. Slice chicken breast crosswise into 1/4-inch strips; toss with the spice mixture to coat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and toss to combine.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, until cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- To serve, spread 1/4 cup of the cucumber-yogurt sauce on a large lettuce leaf and top with one-fourth of the chicken. Fold like a taco